We have seen God lead and provide in glorious ways in the Homes for Haiti (H4H) project.
For the original Homes for Haiti project (Phase I), God provided more than $650,000 to help build homes for the people of the OMS-related churches in southern Haiti. The Korean Evangelical Holiness Church gave an unexpected initial $400,000 God-given gift which allowed us to charge forward with building homes for our Haitian brothers and sisters. In the first phase of the H4H project, we built 54 homes. God provided funding, and we built an Orphan House and a School Depot in the southwestern town of Gressier. God’s funding allowed us to employ a large number of Haitian workers who worked side-by-side with teams we sent from the U.S., UK, South Korea, and Canada. These teams helped train our Haitian friends in building techniques. From August 2010 to December 2013, we sent 63 teams and 698 people.
The next phase of the Homes for Haiti project (Phase 2) was the Bon Repos project. Through God’s abundant provisions, we bought a 3.18-acre tract of land north of Port-au-Prince. At Bon Repos we built 36 homes, a perimeter wall, installed three clean water wells, built 16 toilet facilities, built 12 kitchen/shower units, erected a beautiful cross-shaped church, and installed a wonderful playground for the children. God provided all the funding necessary for this project as well. On May 15, 2016, a large contingency from Haiti, the UK, and the U.S. gathered to dedicate the Bon Repos community and to glorify God. From January 2014 through May 15, 2016, we sent 69 teams and 882 people to work on this special project.
So where do we go from here?
Here’s where we feel God is leading us:
- Build more homes – we still have money that we intend to utilize to build more homes for people in need. Initially, we plan to build in the hard-hit area of Gressier, then we’ll see where the Lord leads from there. The vision we have is to choose areas where we can plant new churches or help grow existing churches.
- Start a training center to help clergy and laity in their growth and ministry.
- Send evangelism teams to partner with trained and like-minded Haitians to begin new “life groups”, which leads to--
- Plant churches with trained church planters who help create multiplying communities of believers.
- Send medical teams to partner with Haitian medical staff to minister in various communities in southern Haiti. There must be both a physical and spiritual aspect to these teams, which means they will also partner with local Haitian churches.
- Provide opportunity for churches outside Haiti to have long-term partnership with carefully selected communities within Haiti to help provide strategic community development.
- We intend to hire and train a man from the Port-au-Prince church to be an agriculture technician. He will travel between Gressier and Bon Repos to help people know how to best manage their gardens and help them be most productive in utilizing their gardens for maximum benefit.
- We intend to open a technical school that will help Haitians learn skills to find and keep jobs.
- SHEEP – We are partnering with three Christian schools to help the children of southern Haiti have hope through a life with Christ and a quality education.
The primary driver for all this is to bring people to Jesus through compassionate and evangelical ministries and create dynamic communities of believers across Haiti.
We are currently taking reservations for teams this fall and beyond.